EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Wednesday, April 28, 2010

CHICKEN ADDICTION HAS BEGUN

HELLO & welcome to Garden Daddy here at the urban farm! The day has finally arrived and the remainder of my urban farm flock has arrived from R & J Feed here in Jackson, TN. I had put my name in the pot for 4-each of the Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks that were to arrive today and sure enough when I got off of work this morning, came by my homestead and walked little "MAX" I headed straight to the feed store. When I got there, Ginger Kemp (one of the owners of R & J) showed me two more breeds of chickens she had gotten in this morning that were not on her ordering list I had seen earlier.
So, what can I say other than like I told her today, it has almost become a drug for me on these chickens now. She said then you have "chicken fever" and few every survive it appears! I ended up bringing home 6-each instead of my order of 4-each. I ended up with 1-each of a Golden Laced Wyandotte & 1-each of a Speckled Sussex, both of which are not very common and I understand the Speckled Sussex even a little rare in the U.S. They came from England and are a fairly older breed, over one hundred years in the breeding process. I will share the two added breed photos with you here in this posting. I also have some shots of the lot of the 6 together. With these only about 2-days old and the remainder of my little brood around 2-3 weeks old and now rather rambunctious and bouncing all over the place I did not put these new, tender hatchlings in with the older birds. They need to get some age, size and stamina on them before they meet their brood mates or should I call them the other "raptors" that are a little dinosauric at this stage.
Here are my little bunch today that are separated, actually in the house in my upstairs room I am only using for storage just now. I cannot wait till all are out of their brooders and into the hen house and then outside in the run and then at large in the extended run area. Aren't they cute?
Here is the Speckled Sussex hen like my new 1-chick.
And here is the Golden Laced Wyandotte like my other "unplanned blessed event"!
Garden Daddy will leave you today as I am heading over to my Jackson Community Garden site to do a little cleaning up of the site in preparation of the hopefully soon to be tilling that will be going on. And I give you our ongoing homesteading affirmation from center city Jackson, TN: "URBAN FARMING: ONE EGG AT A TIME!"

No comments:

Post a Comment