EMAIL YOUR GARDEN DADDY WITH QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS

Get your garden questions answered and offer suggestions other than regular posting comments. If you want more personal contact or you have more in depth gardening questions and need answers, let Garden Daddy send you on your "Happy Garden Way" by offering you my comments.
Contact your Garden Daddy today:
gardendaddy@gmail.com



Monday, March 8, 2010

VEGETABLE GARDEN GETS THE FENCING FINISHED

HELLO from your Garden Daddy here at the garden home! I wanted to share with you readers what I finished today in the veggie patch with regard to the new fencing and getting it more stabilized and semi-permanent. Here are some photos today where I have made the fence panels more sturdy and added some extra pieces to tie the sections together to make it look more like solid sections. I am now ready to prep the rows and move some of the straw around into the areas that will be the spaces BETWEEN the rows. The straw and leaves will then decompose all this next season and next and not only become what I call "living compost" but will decay so much that by NEXT summer 2011, I will have the best of the best in terms of REAL, decomposed and completely reclaimed and NEW soil and conditioner built into one. Surely this cannot get any better, right? Now in the spaces I will clear out for rows I will add my calcium and what other nutrients I feel I need I for my tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, the remaining veggies I will plant as well as the many FLOWERS I mix in among the vegetables. Remember your Garden Daddy's advice to plant different flowers in with the veggies to draw in those wonderful Humming Birds, bees and butterflies for that wonderful pollination needed to make those plants really produce. You always want to add some tall sunflowers to this madness as not only do they attract many pollinators but they also bring back to memory those gardens of old in that EVERY GARDEN had some sunflowers in them. Sunflowers have become a garden favorite of mine this past year and this garden home will surely have several varieties to share with you later in the season. All I need now is to get my sign ready for the garden gate, "Garden Daddy's Garden Home" and get ready to plant!
Also, I would like to show you a wonderful birdhouse I was gifted last November for my birthday from my good friend, T.O. of Germantown, TN. I have wanted to hang it for a long time and today was the best day I could imagine. It looks wonderful hanging on the garden shed here at the garden home. A good color to show up in the yard. It was made from a mutual friend, T.A., who lives in Arkansas. Now I need some birds looking for a nice "condo" to move on in, right?
Be looking in the near future for your Garden Daddy to provide you with his ideas of his top personal best recommendations of "must-haves" for any garden to have. I will try to provide you with some ideas that I personally like as my favorites for my summer garden.
So I leave you today with this gardening affirmation in mind: "Springtime is the land awakening. The March winds are the morning yawn."...Lewis Grizzard, "Kathy Sue Loudermilk, I Love You"

No comments:

Post a Comment